This blog will chronicle the lives of eight Tauber Institute for Global Operations students during their summer internships. The summer internship is the capstone of the Tauber Program and we wanted to share our experiences with prospective students. For more details about the Tauber Institute, please visit http://www.tauber.umich.edu/.

The internships will begin on May 9th and run through mid August. Check back frequently to see what the Tauber students have been up to!

Monday, August 29, 2011

The Lull Before the Storm


With the conclusion of my Tauber project a few weeks ago I have had some time to relax and enjoy a little free time before getting right back to full speed at school. I know that when I get back to school next week I will not have a minute to spare with full time recruiting, spotlight, class, and being a graduate student instructor. I am not sure that I will have a spare minute, so I am making sure to enjoy myself now while I still can.

After my Tauber project concluded, I was able to head home to see my parents in Mt. Pleasant, MI for a few days. It was a nice relaxing time to do......NOTHING. After spending three days in Michigan, I caught a flight to Honduras to go on a volunteer trip with some fellow classmates. We were set to build latrines for a small farming village. Unfortunately we had to return to the United States early due to some unrest in the region and we were not able to build the latrines that we set out to build. However, everyone got back to the states safely. Since we were back in the states early, I had no place to live in Ann Arbor. As a result I have been staying in Miami and Houston with friends. Despite being disappointed that we had to return from Honduras early, I have not had a bad time back in the states!

Tomorrow at 7 am I am flying back to Ann Arbor and my freedom will end before the impending fall semester starts. From talking to older students from the EGL program, the fall semester with recruiting can be a bit of a whirlwind. I have heard that some students spend upwards of 20-30 hours a week on recruiting activities. This is on top of the classes I will be taking and teaching. As a graduate engineer it is possible to apply to be a graduate student instructor and teach part of an undergraduate class.

In addition to having class and recruiting there are also some major Tauber activities in the near future. The culmination of all of our summer projects will be the Spotlight event on September 16th. When I get back to Ann Arbor I will be spending many sessions with my summer teammates practicing our Spotlight presentation. The event consists of hundred of executives watching 25 minute presentations about the Tauber students summer projects.

Despite having a busy road ahead of me, I am very excited for what awaits! I will post again soon to explain more about the Spotlight event.

No comments:

Post a Comment