Since graduation, I've been able to catch my breathe with my family and gear up for the summer ahead. I took a week to enjoy my friends in Ann Arbor before they all departed and then moved out of my apartment. After spending a week with my family and friends in Troy (suburb of Detroit) I reloaded nearly everything I had in it on the way home and got it ready for Minneapolis.
My dad and I then took 2 days to drive to Minneapolis as we stopped in Chicago and stayed with my Uncle. The drive took about 12 hours, or 10 with my lead foot, but served as a great bonding period. We spent a two days together and ventured around Minneapolis as I set up and got ready for work.
Okay... now the Tauber stuff. We were greeted on our first day of work and I couldn't believe it. The Snacks Division hooked me up... (see below)
Snacks, a welcome Teddy, and my new Mug!
Honore and I spent our first week or so re-scoping our project and learning more about the whole General Mills company / Snacks industry. With all the jargon of chewy bars and production lines, we were ultimately led to Hannibal, MO to view a real production line. We returned on Friday and grabbed a meal together. It was eye-opening to reflect on how much we had learned in that first week alone! Our second week included meetings with upper management (great exposure!) and much more learning. I could go on and on about chewy bars and whatnot but I think I'll save that for Spotlight! (and the Fall). However, I should share the fact that I've felt very positive about the access to top management and interest people have here for our project. General Mills has been an awesome sponsor thus far!
Outside of work, I've been able to enjoy the amazing Minneapolis outdoors, improve my cooking, and explore the city. It was also my birthday, which led me to a few bars near Target Field, home of the Twins. There seems to be a real love for baseball (sadly the Twins), food, and shopping around here. In other words, I may spend every penny I make... but a penny well spent. I've also been exercising a lot as General Mills (and Minneapolis for that matter) is a very active place! Everyone seems to be either doing triathlons, or one-upping me in some way... who knows maybe I'll do the Warrior Dash (Warrior Dash)!?!
Anyways, one thing I will be doing is helping with the Minneapolis Miracle League as I hope to help children learn some baseball and make some friends! Games are on weekends, so it'll serve as great release. Until then, I'll continue to brainstorm about my experience and hope to share in the next three weeks. Cheers!
An overcast view from our apartment - note the skywalks!
By the way, deadly storms have come through here (not quite as bad as those in Missouri) and tornado sirens have been frequent. I should note that we are safe and my thoughts are with those affected!


No comments:
Post a Comment