As graduation nears and many EGL / graduate students register for Fall courses, many of the friends I've made over the last few years gear up to depart from Ann Arbor for "the next step" in their careers. I'm referring to students that are not pursuing a fifth year of graduate school or finishing up their Tauber experience. The majority of these individuals were folks I've been close with since freshman or sophomore year; there's no doubt that I will miss each and every one of them. However, I am confident that I will have a strong network of friends next year due to EGL and The Tauber Institute. It sure is an amazing network that you inherit!
As many of my Tauber colleagues have noted, there are many steps that occur before students secure their Tauber internship. Though I could write about these steps, I'd like to focus my topic on the steps that follow. Following the selection of your company, students celebrate their assignment at an initial "Kick-off Dinner" where you formally meet your teammate(s) and faculty advisors. This is truly an exciting time, as the "picture becomes clearer" on what your summer will actually look like. As I noted in my previous post, I will be working for General Mills in Minneapolis, MN. My partner is an MBA, named Honore, and I am very grateful to be able to share this experience with him!
Like the rest of the teams, Honore and I began to meet and discuss our project and leadership styles. We went through a week of Tauber modules that focused on our team and project. Topics included: Team Dynamics, Project Management, and Cultural Awareness. Together, we also met with a team dynamics coach who will guide our relationship and check in with us throughout the summer. A few other things that we worked on were a Team Charter, which outlined our roles and responsibilities, working standards, and methods to use throughout our project experience. We set goals in this charter and are looking forward to seeing how we can meet them!
On a lighter note I should share the fact that General Mills sent both Honore and me a congratulatory gift basket full of cereal, snacks, and other goodies. It was very nice gesture and a great example of how Tauber sponsors value their interns! In just two days, Honore and I will make an initial site visit to Minneapolis to meet the General Mills team we will work with this summer, tour the facility, and scope our project. I am ecstatic to once again, "clear the picture" and excited to make some great connections within the office!
General Mills Headquarters (My Future Office) near Minneapolis, MN
Before I finish this post, I thought I'd note the other fun activities that the Tauber Student Advisory Board (SAB) put together to build stronger relationships. Over the last two weeks, we had a social night at a local bar and ventured out to a beautiful day at Comerica Park to catch a game between the Detroit Tigers and Kansas City Royals. From the buses, to the tickets and food, I not only felt like a VIP but met some more colleagues within the program. Below is a picture of us at the game! To add to the fun times, the weather was nearly 80 degrees!
I hope to update you all on my site visit in the near future as I am pretty Cheer(io)-ful about the trip ahead! Again, please feel free to post any questions or comments as well! Seacrest... out!

No comments:
Post a Comment